Ko Wai Mātou
Te Tohu o Te Ora o Ngāti Awa is one of the largest integrated Māori providers in the Eastern Bay of Plenty. Established in 1989 to provide Mātua Whāngai services to Iwi, the organisation grew from a small Level 1 Care & Family Support Service, to an approved Iwi Provider of Health, Social and Education Services.
The need to merge our health policy arm formally known as Te Tohunga Ora Mo Ngāti Awa, with the Social Service arm of Te Rūnanga o Ngāti Awa, was recognised by the Iwi and in 1997, Te Tohu o Te Ora o Ngāti Awa was constituted and mandated to provide all social and health services to Ngāti Awa.
Today, Te Tohu o Te Ora o Ngāti Awa is continuing to develop its social and health initiatives. Te Tohu o Te Ora o Ngāti Awa intends to provide a comprehensive and seamless suite of health and social related services, which will benefit both Iwi and the wider community.
In general terms, Te Tohu o Te Ora o Ngāti Awa has set itself objectives where it will:
- Achieve the highest standards of administration and delivery of social and health services. These standards will be consistent with;
- recognised professional practices in health care services
- New Zealand’s regulatory requirements
- effective use of the Trust’s resources
- Carry out statutory functions and other obligations in an effective and caring manner consistent with the interest of Iwi and the community.
- Focus on prudent management to provide ongoing flexibility and the ability to meet the requirements of service users.
- Maintain ongoing, close and consultative relationships between Te Tohu o Te Ora o Ngāti Awa, Iwi, the community and regulatory and associated administrative organisation’s.
- Provide a professional working environment ensuring that employees are properly trained and motivated.