Family Start is a free voluntary home based service that offers support to whānau expecting new pēpi (babies) or whānau already caring for pēpi.
About this Service
Family Start offers a free and confidential service to your whānau. They provide practical and new ideas to help your child grow and develop. We will match you with a Family Start Worker who will visit you regularly at home to support and assist you to form strong bonds between you, your pēpi/tamariki and your whānau, share information with you that helps you engage with your pēpi or tamariki positively, and assist you to connect to other services that will strengthen support for your whānau.
Family Start can support and assist you with:
- understanding how pēpi grow strong, be healthy and learn
- positive parent-child interaction and engagement
- safety awareness as pēpi grows and develops
- healthy lifestyle choices, including whānau and pēpi/tamariki nutrition
- becoming more confident about caring for your pēpi/tamariki
- putting you in touch with other community agencies and services you may need, e.g. budgeting, early childhood education centres or kōhanga reo, housing, Tamariki Ora/well child services
- setting priorities and meeting your goals