Te Oranga Kaumatua
Ensuring our kuia and koroua maintain optimum health and wellbeing is fundamental to the service we provide.
About this Service
There is an emphasis on cultural and social inclusion that includes participation in local tangi, hapū and Ngāti Awa events. Te Oranga Kaumatua is focused on reducing the isolation for many of our kaumatua bringing them together to socialise with their peers.
Activities are appropriate for kaumatua. Our programme is designed with koroua and kuia so that the activities provided are those they want to participate in. Te Oranga Tamariki aim is to support kaumatua to maintain good health. Underpinning Te Oranga Kaumatua is Ngāti Awatanga and Mataatuatanga.
The definition of kuia and koroua is not limited by age. Service while primarily targeting Māori do not exclude people of other cultures. The priority is on meeting the needs of Māori living within the Ngāti Awa rohe.
- Programme facilitated two days per week
- Provision of health education e.g. asthma and respiratory, diabetes, breast and cervical screening
- Advisory, liaison and coordination of services
- Wellness checks with registered nurses
- Waiata and kapa haka
- Participation in Ngāti Awa events
- Physical activity e.g. line dancing, low impact exercise
- Day trips
- Home and hospital visits to kaumatua who are unwell